Sunday, April 7, 2013

HUELL HOWSER - More Thoughts on LIKELY California Gold Backroads Travel Host


A bit more about Huell Howser, who passed in November, as I head off on my first 'Huell Howser Memorial Adventure ' on the Delta,CA nr Sacramento...There were/are no others  like him.. his natural, enthusiastic style you don't see anymore - I , too have gotten criticized for getting excited with little things.  That's one reason I guess I related to Hoswer (Plus , I wore similar, casual Hawaiian style shirts, as he did.)  Why don't interviewers  ask him about some of his favorite 'adventures' in CA....Howser defended his style in an interview:

"Sometimes, people say, 'Are you putting that on?' " he said in 2009. "That's kind of a sad commentary, don't you think? Like there's got to be something wrong with someone who's enthusiastic and happy like that. Do I have bad days? Yes. Do I get depressed? Yes. Am I concerned about the state of the California economy and budget? I'm not some Pollyanna who doesn't recognize that there's hunger and poverty and racism in the world."


from Sacramento Bee on day after passing:
Huell Howser seemed an unlikely candidate to become a television star – a big, grinning ex-Marine with a molasses-smooth Tennessee drawl and an eye for stories that others would ...more
(editorial note: Funny , I don't think of Howser as an 'unlikely' TV host for a show like California Gold. In fact,  I think his great, friendly, inquisitive personality made him that much more a LIKELY host.
I don't get it... just another sign of the times I guess. One has to fit a mold these days, I guess
There was/is another likable , more conventional 'Backroads' host in the Bay Area, Doug McConnell and before him., Jerry Graham, and another guy on KPIX Eye on the Bay.... all great guys but more conventional, by the book... and they didn't come up with the real offbeat, remote places Howser did... 
Read more here: http://www.sacbee.com/2013/01/08/5098617/huell-howser-found-joy-in-all.html#storylink=omni_popular#storylink=cpy
 
 


www.sacbee.com
Huell Howser seemed an unlikely candidate to become a television star – a big, grinning ex-Marine with a molasses-smooth Tennessee drawl and an eye for stories that others would pa

Huell Howser found joy in all things California - The Sacramento Bee
www.sacbee.com
Huell Howser seemed an unlikely candidate to become a television star – a big, grinning ex-Marine with a molasses-smooth Tennessee drawl and an eye for stories that others would pass by, from the Bunny Museum in Pasadena to the rendering of artwork out of dryer lint.

No comments:

Post a Comment